Environmental Health is the foundation of public health. We have a
solid history of protecting Floridians from environmental hazards where
they work, live and play. We "protect, promote and improve the health of all people
in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts."
Super Stats: How EH Provides Out of Sight Service
- We help ensure the safety of 50% of Florida's drinking water.
- We inspect more than 37,000 public swimming pools twice a year.
- We regulate 2.3 million onsite sewage systems, serving 30% of Florida's population.
- We lead the nation by monitoring beach water at more than 240 beach
- We issue over 28,000 construction permits and 9,000 operating
permits for onsite sewage systems each year.
- We have monitored migrant farmworker housing since 1959 and
currently permit over 800 migrant housing establishments with a total of
11,301 living units.
- We inspect 1,600 tanning facilities annually throughout the state
with more than 7,100 tanning devices.
- We inspect over 11,000 food service establishments.
- We monitor the treatment of over 30,000 tons of biomedical waste
generated by over 39,000 facilities, rendering it safe for disposal.
- We have raised the bar nationally with our Protocol for Assessing
Community Excellence in Environmental Health (PACE-EH) projects
which enable 21 Florida counties to tackle pressing environmental health
concerns as a part of a community-based effort.
- We inspect over 5,600 Mobile Home and Recreational Vehicle Parks
- We license over 700 septic tank contractors and 800 certified
environmental health professionals.
- We are part of Florida's public health emergency response to almost every disaster